17 November 2014

The Importance of Community

After a long while of choosing to isolate myself from others, I'm emerging from my social cocoon and intentionally working on building various relationships. God never meant for us to go it alone, and I'm learning that slowly but surely.

Today I spent time in conversation, fellowship and prayer with fellow believers. I realized how much I've missed those activities...and how much I need others in my life to help encourage, challenge and support me. In Hebrews, we are commanded to spur one another on to good works and not forsake the assembling of ourselves together.

I had lunch with a friend who shares similar passions and came away from that encounter with a renewed vigor for the ministries God has called me to. I benefited greatly from the sermon my Pastor preached regarding the names of God. I enjoyed conversation with other believers and time spent in prayer for each other. I sang in tandem with the other people in our church choir, raising our voices in praise to the Almighty. I discussed Scripture and the implications it has for our lives with yet another friend.

And you know what? I am ready to face the week! For quite some time now, I have dreaded Mondays and all that it brings. The stresses of my job, the inevitable personality clashes with difficult people, the unknowns of the day -- all of these factors served to discourage and disappoint me. The main reason this occurred was because my focus was in the wrong place. Rather than fixing my eyes on Jesus, looking to Him for guidance and trying to accomplish everything in His strength; I was instead choosing to dwell on temporary things, filling my mind with lies and twisted truths from the great Deceiver.

Much of this stemmed from my refusal to surround myself with the right influences. I am not an island; I cannot achieve anything on my own. And God created us to be social beings who need each other. So, I'm moving forward yet again and striving to seek company that will refresh and renew me, while providing that for those around me on a daily basis.

But this time, I am going to rely on the strength that comes from trusting the One who holds me in the palm of His hand. Because, I'm discovering the vital importance of community and I want to be obedient to the commands given in Scripture.


..not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, 
but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.  
Hebrews 10:25 (NASB)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home