19 November 2014

Hurting souls

I just don't understand. Why do some people seem to have it all? I know material possessions aren't everything. In fact, we are warned against placing hope in things. But we all still need food to survive, clothing to stay warm and money to pay for everyday necessities. I do know those who have been blessed with much, and choose to give most of it to others who need it more than they do. However, it seems as if many who have wealth are unwilling to part with it. Whether it be a symbol of status, a magic number to attain or just plain selfishness -- people tend to be misers. How many good things could be done with those funds?

And then I look at what I have. By some standards, it might seem like very little, but to others I'm rich. I have my own car, a place to live, clothes to wear, food to eat and people around me to support me in my journey. There are people who don't even half of those things I just listed. No shelter, only the clothes on their backs, no guarantee of when their next meal will be, and certainly no transportation. Yet I complain and am ungrateful for the things given to me. So what if my car won't start? At least I have a warm bed and a full stomach. What am I doing to help those who are less fortunate? When is the last time I have truly sacrificed to serve another?

Constantly, my heart is being broken, I weep over the things that others must suffer. I want to save them all -- those sweet babies who have no mother to hold them close and whisper love, the children who are forced to spend their lives in a concrete prison because another has determined their worth is less than human, those who are forced to sell their bodies for the gain of a selfish monster, the list goes on...

I want to DO something, to create change, to turn tragedy into triumph, but I feel SO helpless. I am one person, what can I possibly do that will turn the tide, make an impact? 

And yet...failing to act would be so much worse. God does not need to use me to accomplish His purpose, but He chooses to do so anyway. So I must be faithful and do what I can, trusting God to enable me to do all that He has called me to in this life. Then, I give it all back -- it was in His hands all along and I cannot change circumstances on my own. He has a bigger plan, and wants to redeem people and situations in ways that I could never dream.

...‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, 
even the least of them, you did it to Me.'
Matthew 25:40
(NASB)


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home