27 March 2010

Driving in the dark

I'm enjoying a blissfully relaxing weekend with a good friend at her farm. Since it was a five hour drive, I had plenty of time to ponder different aspects of my life. Being severely directionally-challenged, I requested step by step instructions to reach her place. (North, South, East and West don't mean a thing to me unless I have a working compass in my hand.) Just give me landmarks and tell me whether to turn left or right...the better method every time. I'm not sure a gps would even be beneficial to me...but that's another story. I was somewhat worried knowing that the majority of my drive would be made after dark, and the last stretch was mosly county highways and back roads. I trusted that google mapquest knew the way, and with my handy map in hand, I set out on my adventure!

The first part of the drive was fairly simple...just stay on the northbound highway and stay awake. As soon as dusk came, I was immediately more alert, which was a good thing because my phone was dying slowly but surely. I navigated the exits and turns and was very thankful to have arrived in the cities after rush hour was over. As I neared my destination, I called my friend and she graciously agreed to meet me so I could follow her the rest of the way. Knowing that my phone only had a limited number of minutes before giving up the ghost completely, we kept our conversations short and to the point. It was determined that we would meet at a McDonald's just a few miles from her farm.

This last stretch of the journey turned out to be the most difficult for me. I knew I was looking for a county road that would jog over and get me to the next highway, but I had no idea how many miles until I arrived there. By now it was pitch black outside and the only thing I could clearly see were the headlights of the vehicles behind me. The road had abundant curves, and not being familiar with the way, I had no idea where I was going. I had to trust that my friend had given me the right directions and that google was a reliable source...all the while frantically praying that I wasn't driving deeper and deeper into the middle of nowhere.

Then it struck me. This is my life right now. I have no idea where I'm going or what God has for me in the future. Often I feel as if I'm driving blindly through the night not knowing where the next bend in the road will take me. But I can rest assured because I know the One guiding me wants what is best for me. Yes I will experience uncertainties and perhaps fear along the way, but that is only to remind me that I am not the one in charge of my life. In the end I will arrive exactly where my sovereign Father wants me to be. I just need to trust that He knows the way.

Eventually I did arrive at the road I was searching for and my friend was there to show me the way to her house. :)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home