27 November 2014

Cultivating a Spirit of Thankfulness

As hard as it seems to believe, this year is almost over. Another *almost* twelve months passed by, and what do I have to show for all of that time? It a sobering thought to ponder that I will be held accountable for my actions...as well as failing to act at times. 

When I reflect over the last several months, I realize that so many times, I have failed to be thankful. Instead of being grateful for what God has placed in my life, I chose to complain about what I didn't yet have, or the things that had been taken away from me. But that isn't how it works.

The thing about thankfulness is that it is not dependent on my circumstances. Scripture gives a direct command to give thanks in EVERYTHING and there is no clause of exception. This means I am to be thankful for the trials that God sees fit to put in my path. I am to thank Him for breaking me and for the pain that comes from suffering. When I have plenty I should give thanks, but also when I feel like there is not enough to cover my expenses. 

Recently I started a new devotional that focuses on thanksgiving despite circumstances that are less than conducive to a grateful spirit. And although I still have a lot to learn, I have discovered anew the joy that comes from giving praise for everything in my life, whether I deem it to be good or bad. This simple exercise has been freeing and has brought contentment when it seemed most elusive.

This has been such a different approach than my flesh is accustomed to, but oh so much better! I am striving to practice giving thanks as patterned by my Savior. What better example, than the One who gave His very life for me?


"...giving thanks always and for everything 
to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,"
Ephesians 5:20 
(ESV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home