09 January 2015

5 Minute Friday: Welcome

Okay -- I'm new to this, but I'll give it a try at the very least. I recently discovered a community of bloggers that participate in Five Minute Friday as a way to encourage and bless each other and it looks like fun! So, here goes...

the prompt is Welcome:

Go!

My first thoughts are of home and how anyone and everyone was (and still is) welcome there. No matter what. Often, my parents didn't even notice an extra person at the table until halfway through dinner. We just brought people home because it was a safe haven, a place where you just felt comfortable...and loved.

I remember earlier in my childhood I despaired at my 'friends' seeing our home. It was so imperfect, and I was embarrassed. We didn't have matching furniture, fancy drapes, spotless carpet or famous artwork. We did have pictures of loved ones, treasured drawings that my siblings had created, and most importantly -- acceptance and love. And I learned that those are the things that make a home.

Now I understand that it is easier to feel welcome in a place that is lived-in. No worries about mussing the throws on the couch, staining the carpet or accidentally knocking over an expensive vase. Instead, there is evidence that people have eaten recently and there is more to consume if one is interested. The blankets on the sofa may not be folded perfectly, but they are warm and ready to snuggle beneath. Yes, the pictures may be crooked...but that just gives more character.

That is my welcome home. Comfort. Love. Acceptance. Imperfect and sometimes messy, but oh what a beautiful mess it is!

Stop. 

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Our home doesn't have matching furniture, fancy drapes, spotless carpet or famous artwork either, but we hope our home is welcoming as well.

And I love that you used the word "haven" in your post. Our newest little one was born Wednesday and we named her Haven.

Welcome to the Five Minute Friday community!

January 09, 2015 1:39 AM  
Blogger Katha said...

Welcome to the FMF community! It really is a great place and everyone and their thoughts are welcome!
The description of your home sounds really nice - it's not about matching furniture or fancy things; it's about the people and the atmosphere. Glad you enjoy being home and I hope you'll be able to take a bit of that with you later on. Happy Friday to you!

January 09, 2015 8:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thankful that you decided to come to the party, Liz!

As a recent college grad/newlywed (a year and a half in), I sometimes catch myself looking around my home and feeling despaired. Our house is a tribute to hand-me-downs, and of course, nothing matches. But I'm finding more and more that welcoming people isn't about making them feel like I've got it all together -- it is about creating space for honesty and authenticity to take center stage.

Hope you'll keep hanging out with us! :)

January 09, 2015 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Yay, I'm so glad you found Five Minute Friday! AND .. I'm thrilled to learn that we're on the same #fmfpartysnailmail list! How fun! Looking forward to getting to know you better. I adore your description of home. Definitely a welcoming place .. what a gift!

January 22, 2015 6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home