30 January 2015

Five Minute Friday: #Wait

Here I am again, participating in this wonderful community of bloggers that take a one word prompt and just let the words flow from their fingers. You can visit here: five minute friday :: wait

This week the word is especially significant to me.

Wait.


I've been on a journey for the last few years that has taught me to wait. It started out a stark refusal to strive for patience. Then, a friend rebuked me for my disobedience, God used various people to speak truth into my life and I began to pray for patience, although not willingly. (for more, read this: Waiting on the Lord)

Whenever an individual asks me to pray for patience for them, I always ask if they are ready to practice that fruit of the Spirit. Because I know -- through experience; when you ask God for something, He gives opportunities to learn. Real life situations, the nitty-gritty details of our existence sent to teach us something of importance and value.

Which is exactly why I didn't want to pray for patience in the first place. I knew there would be no escaping it then. God always answers prayer, and not usually how we expect He will. So, I imagined days, months, even years of torture not having an answer for the questions heavy on my heart. But what I didn't consider is that there can be joy in the waiting.

And I am by no means claiming that I am an expert on waiting now...but I have come a long way to be sure. I have been purposefully praying for patience, and actually wanting to be taught those hard lessons of what it means to wait. I have learned so much, enjoyed the bliss of being still and letting God speak and have a hope that carries me on to the next thing.

Certainly I am not perfect, and I fail time after time in this quest for patience. But I know the One who holds my future in His hands -- and I can trust Him implicitly. That brings peace and contentment. What is next? I have no idea exactly how my life will unfold...but neither can I make it progress any faster. So, I continue to learn what it means to wait.

~Liz

3 Comments:

Anonymous Verona said...

Liz, what an encouraging post! This quote really resonated with me: "I have learned so much, enjoyed the bliss of being still and letting God speak and have a hope that carries me on to the next thing." I love that reminder. It's almost like being patient on Christmas morning as a child waiting to open presents. It's worth the wait. :) Your friend at #fmfparty.

January 30, 2015 1:57 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Very well said! I have learned the same... that God USES the waiting to develop in us what He needs to hand over the gift... or, perhaps our gift needs to be developed. Regardless, the time is NOT wasted and He can indeed be trusted. I love that you have found joy in the waiting... I've spent a lot of time grieving when asked to wait... looking back later and seeing that I should have responded with joy. With trust. Because He was doing a GOOD thing! Press on!

January 30, 2015 4:11 AM  
Blogger Asheritah said...

Such wisdom in asking people if they're ready to practice the fruit of the Spirit as He answers our prayers for patience. Waiting is hard, so hard, but I'm grateful that God meets us in the waiting.

Hugs to you!

January 30, 2015 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home